Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup (250 mL) white sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) butter
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- Step 1: With electric mixture, beat sugar, butter and vanilla until mixture is creamy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add eggs beating after each egg; beat thoroughly.
- Step 2: In a separate bowl combine our, baking powder and salt. Beat the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture.
- Step 3: Roll out cookie dough to 1/4" (0.6 cm) onto a lightly floured board. For best results, do not roll cookie dough too thin. Use cookie cutters of your choice for a variety of dierent shapes and sizes. Place cookies on parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Step 4: Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 10 minutes or until the underside of cookies turn golden brown. Glaze Icing Step 1 Combine icing sugar with milk to reach desired spreading consistency. Stir in food colouring or leave icing white. Using a pastry brush, paint frosting over cooled cookies and decorate with coloured sugar, toasted coconut or slivered almonds, chocolate shavings or chocolate chips.
Makes 4 dozen depending on cookie size*